Friday, 8 March 2013

Friday lunches

I love my Friday lunches at home just me and my boys.

Friday used to be pizza lunch day at school, but when the teachers' work-to-rule action put an end to those I didn't think it was fair that the kids should miss out on their once-a-week treat, so I promised to pick them up for lunch at home every Friday until the pizza days started again. 


These Friday lunches at home are one of the highlights of the kids' week. They remind me every Thursday night when I'm tucking them in and again at breakfast the next morning. They discuss the possibilities for what we're going to eat - sometimes it's a treat like pizza or subs; sometimes party foods with platters of nibblies, veggies and dip, cheese and crackers, lunch meats and dinner rolls; sometimes just soup and a sandwich or macaroni and cheese. But no matter what we eat, it's a special occasion because they get to come home and have lunch with Mommy and Baby.

It's only an hour each week. It means bundling up Baby and two extra walks to and from school in the cold, but nothing makes me happier than the looks on my boys' faces when the lunch bell rings and they come tearing out of their classrooms and leap into my arms with enormous grins and squeals of excitement. It's such a little thing, but it's something that means so much to all of us.

Pizza lunches are starting again at school next term, but the boys have enjoyed our special lunches so much that they decided they'd rather keep coming home for Friday lunches. Sometimes it's those special little moments with your kids- like an hour's hunch break together - that mean the most.


You might also like...

Making Memories
Coffee dates with the kids
Fun, free things to do with the kids
hay maze, Toronto Zoo