Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Fit Mom Challenge!

Ok girls, summer's coming - let's get in shape!

There was a time when I had a smoking hot body. Not just when I was young, not just when I was single and child-free. My body has never been better than after I had my first two children. By the time my second son was a year old, I was a size four (UK sizing - American size two), fit and healthy with toned shoulders and arms, a visible six-pack, strong legs and an ass I actually didn't hate. At almost thirty, a single mother of two, I was in better shape than I was in my teens and twenties. And I was healthy - fit and strong and full of energy, I felt absolutely fabulous.

Now? Not so much.

Since the birth of my youngest son a year and a half ago I've just sort of coasted along, taking periodic half-assed stabs at working out and dieting and meaning to get back into shape sometime...but sometime hasn't really happened yet. I'm disgusted with and disappointed in myself. As a fitness professional, as someone who has spent my entire life living and working in sport and fitness in one respect or another, I can and should be doing better.

So here we go! I'm designating April as Fit Mom Month and I invite you all to join me in my 30-Day Challenge to get our bodies back.

Every day I'll post my workout, other activities, and diet / food journal. I don't have a gym membership, so my working out will be done at home with the resources I have here - hand weights ranging from four to eight pounds, resistance bands, a yoga mat, and my own knowledge as a fitness professional - or in the great outdoors or at the local pool. As someone who has been teaching fitness classes for the last eighteen years, I'm lucky enough to be able to do a kickboxing or pilates or bodysculpt class for myself rather than having to go to a gym or buy a video. But I'm a firm believer - and I tell all my clients the same - that you don't need an expensive gym membership or fancy equipment to get a good workout.

As a personal trainer, I'm treating myself as a client for the next thirty days and designing a program for myself - at home - based on my own body type, fitness level, health and needs. I can't post universal advice, since diet and exercise are not something that can be applied to everyone universally. A personal program needs to be based on individual needs which require a health and fitness assessment - your fitness level, your health history, your caloric needs, your body type, and dozens of other factors - which is why a personal trainer is so important (not a plug, just a fact!) So unless you happen to have my exact same body type, fitness level, medical history, etc. this exact program may not work for you. But, understanding that this program is not intended as advice but rather ideas and guidelines to be adapted for yourself and your own abilities and interests, I hope many of you can join me in this challenge - and I look forward to hearing about your successes and challenges as well!


You might also like...
Fit Mom
Working out with baby