Monday, 20 May 2013

Baking with my boys

I love to bake. And I'm pretty good at it. Anyone who's had any of my creations - especially my legendary melt-in-your-mouth buttery Christmas shortbread - will tell you they're fairly epic.

Home baked sweets and goodies are so much tastier than store bought, and it's such a warm, fuzzy feeling to watch how much my family enjoys eating a treat I've made for them myself - but even better is to bake with my boys. It's an enormous mess, but they have an absolute blast. They love measuring and scooping (a great way to sneak in some math practice during the summer!) and mixing and stirring - and, most importantly, tasting!

The easiest and most-often-made of our family baking projects is my fruit crumble. Almost any fruit can be used - I've made it with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, pears and apples. We had most of a basket of ripe summer peaches sitting on the counter this morning so that's what went in today's dessert.  

baking, recipe, fruit
Peach crumble
Peach Crumble Recipe:
Mix:
1 cup oats
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
Press 2/3 mixture into bottom of 8" x 8" pan.
Mix:
3 cups sliced peaches
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Pour fruit mixture evenly over oat mixture.
Sprinkle remaining 1/3 oat mixture over fruit mixture.
Bake 45 min. at 350F

Delish - and a fun way to spend a lazy morning at home with my boys.


You might also like...
fruit, farm, organic, baskets, strawberries

No comments:

Post a Comment