Friday, 29 August 2014

Holding on to Summer

Heading into the last few days of summer vacation time is starting to speed up on us. We've suddenly lost that sense of summer endlessness, of days drifting into weeks and months of unplanned sunshiney afternoons slipping one into the other and stretching out in front of us until the end of time.

The kids are back to school in only a week. Fall will be on us before we've turned around. But I feel like we've barely begun to enjoy our summer at home together!

I'm not ready for my babies to be back to school, another year older, another grade older, another childhood summer behind them. Back to school means my little boys are getting bigger, growing up and growing away that tiny bit more and more each year. I love my babies and I'm proud of the boys they've become and the men I know they will be. I want them to grow and learn and be happy, successful, independent people one day - but that day seems to be coming too soon!

There is so little time that little ones are little, a few short years, a couple of sleepless spins around the sun so frantic and busy we barely blink before they're over and gone, our babies suddenly grown and living their own lives and all we have are the memories of moments of this time.

I want to enjoy every second with my little guys while they are still little. I want to make the most of every moment. I don't want to turn around one day and realize my babies are all grown up and I didn't do everything I could have done with them when we had the time together, so I do everything I can to make sure our time together is special. So many of those special moments spent together are during the long, lazy days of summer. But there never seems to be enough time!

Childhood is marked by the memories made year after year, summer after summer - and the end of summer means another year gone by, the boys another year older and more independent. I'm so proud of the people they're growing into year after year - but I miss the babies they once were and their childhoods slowly slipping away as those years go by.


You might also like...

No comments:

Post a Comment